1 quart buttermilk or milk
2 tablespoons Tabasco or hot sauce of your choice
4 gloves minced garlic
3-pounds chicken, cut into pieces and each breast cut in half again
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups oil
1 pound green beans
1 tablespoon olive oil
For the chicken:
1) In a large bowl, stir together the buttermilk, Tabasco, and 3 gloves of minced garlic.
2) Add the chicken to the mixture and leave in there as long as possible, at least 10 minutes.
3) In a plastic bag combine the flour, salt, black pepper, garlic powder and cayenne.
4) Add the chicken to the flour mixture and shake until the chicken is fully coated. Repeat this step until all the chicken has been coated.
5) In a skillet heat the 2 cups of oil (about 2 inches) over high heat until very hot. You can test your oil with a piece of chicken skin. If the oil bubbles immediately, it’s ready for frying.
6) Place the chicken in the oil, being careful not to overcrowd the pan. Let the first side cook for 15 minutes. Flip pieces and allow to cook for an additional 15 to 20 minutes. Lower the heat as necessary to prevent burning. Repeat until all the chicken is cooked.
For the green beans:
1) Bring about 1 gallon of salty water to a boil.
2) Plunge the green beans into the water, and boil for no more than 3 to 4 minutes. Once done, remove from heat and drain in colander, rinsing them with cold water.
3) Heat olive oil over medium high heat and add 1 clove of minced garlic. After the garlic has cooked for a minute or two, add the green beans and lightly sauté until the beans are coated in garlic.
4) Serve alongside the fried chicken and enjoy!
If you know someone who might like this, please click “Share!”