A 26-year-old woman from Devon, England is speaking out after doctors discovered that her liver was twice the size of a normal human liver, and was so damaged that doctors thought she was an alcoholic. Shockingly, the damage was from the popular energy drink Red Bull.
Mary Allwood, 26, became so addicted to the energy drink that she was consuming as much as 20 cans per day which is roughly the equivalent of 17 of coffee and as much sugar as 17 chocolate bars.
In addition to the liver damage, the addiction caused her to to gain weight and cost her 2300 pounds ($3,319) per year. Doctors admitted Allwood to the hospital after severe pain in her side revealed that her liver was seriously damaged.
“At first I would feel as if it would give me a buzz and energy, but eventually it wouldn’t give me energy- I just needed it … I needed the taste and fizziness. It was my heroin. I would feel awful if I didn’t have it,” Allwood said.
Allwood quit drinking Red Bull and started replacing the energy drink with water. Initially, she suffered from withdrawal symptoms including mood swings.
“It was really hard and there were times when I bought one, opened it, but I never drank it… I tried a drop on my tongue and it tasted like pure sugar. I’ll never go back to how I was..,” she said.
Allwood is speaking out and warning others about the potential dangers of the drink. She says the drink can be just as damaging as cigarettes and tobacco and that there should be more rules about how the drink is sold.
If you know someone who might like this, please click “Share!