Getting out of your warm, cozy bed every morning is not always easy. That’s why we put together a list of the most popular and effective tricks that will turn you from a night owl into an early bird.
1. Take a walk during your lunch break. In general, try to spend as much time outdoors as possible. This will increase your chances of getting a good night’s sleep and make waking up less painful.
2. Make your morning workout an evening one. Especially during colder seasons. According to some studies, evening exercises can be even more effective.
3. Try not to watch TV after 8 PM. Exposure to the blue light emanating from our screens suppresses the production of melatonin, a sleep hormone.
4. Fire up an aroma lamp before going to bed. Using calming essential oils can potentially help you relax, fall asleep faster and wake up feeling rested.
5. Promise yourself a yummy breakfast. And avoid eating before bedtime. In the morning you’ll wake up feeling a bit hungry, so the thought of the promised treat will quickly get you out of dreamland and on your feet.
6. If you’re sleepy, go to sleep. Even if it’s still too early. An extra hour or a couple of hours of nap time will help you feel refreshed.
7. Try sleeping with your window open. People produce large amounts of carbon dioxide during the night. So good ventilation can make a huge difference.
8. Put your alarm clock further away — in the far corner of your bedroom, behind the door or maybe even in then next room (as long as you can still hear it). That way you’ll have to get up to turn it off.
9. Wake up to your favourite music. Forget the loud unpleasant screeching and wailing that used to give you a near heart attack every morning — today you can even get a special alarm clock that simulates sunrise, accompanied by gentle music.
10. Think of the fascinating adventure that awaits you. Or think of how, if you won’t make it to work today, everyone will miss you terribly, how the office just won’t be the same and how that old printer will surely eat all the very important papers.
11. Move around in bed a bit right after you wake up. Take a few deep breaths. Massage your ears — this will improve the blood circulation in your head; rub your palms together.
12. Set big goals. If you have a good reason for waking up early and do more with your time, getting out of bed with joy and purpose will come naturally.
13. If it’s still dark outside and you need to get up and turn on the lights as soon as possible. This will slow the production of melatonin, which makes you feel sleepy. The lights will help you wake up.
14. Drink a glass of water before breakfast. This is a very simple yet very effective trick. Not only will it help you wake up, it’ll also nurture your digestive system and prepare it for food.
15. Then open the window and take a deep breath. Yes, even if it’s cold outside. This will help you get rid of your sleepiness and improve your blood circulation.
16. Resist the temptation of sleeping in. Train your body to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day.
17. And the best trick for waking up quickly? Wake up and realize that you have a super-important meeting in half an hour when it takes you an hour and a half to get to work. All the sleepiness will vanish as if by magic!
If you know someone who might like this, please click “Share!”