Everyone knows that dogs are man’s best friend. After all, is there anything more welcoming then a panting, smiling dog with a wet nose greeting you at your door after a hard day’s work?
But aside from knowing how to teach them tricks, keep them well-fed, and make them happy, there’s a lot we don’t know about our canine companions… until now. Here are some cool facts most people don’t know!
1. People have kept dogs as pets for more than 12,000 years.
2. African Basenjis don’t bark. They yodel instead.
3. A dog’s nose print is just as distinctive a marker as a human’s fingerprint.
4. Three dogs survived the infamous sinking of the Titanic.
5. A one-year-old dog is as physically mature as a 15-year-old human teenager.
6. Some dogs maintain their puppy-like floppy ears as a byproduct of domestication. The puppy look inspired our ancestors to take care of them.
7. Nope, this chow-chow hasn’t been eating a blueberry lollipop. This breed’s tongue is naturally blue.
8. Basset Hound numbers are declining with each year. Soon, they might be gone altogether.
9. A genetic mutation is responsible for the unique appearance of the Dachshund.
10. Newfoundlands have webbed feet, which make them great swimmers!
11. Puppies don’t open their eyes until they are roughly twelve days old.
12. You can actually use your dog’s fur to weave a custom yarn.
13. If a dog isn’t fixed, they could produce up to 66,000 puppies in just 6 years!
14. No one knows the true origin of the word “dog.”
15. Dogs share 99.6% of their DNA with wolves.
If you know someone who might like this, please click “Share!”