- One 3-to-4-pound chicken, broken down into 8 pieces
- 1½ cups bourbon-chile barbecue sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. In a plastic bag, combine the chicken and ¾ cup of the barbecue sauce. Seal the bag closed and massage the barbecue sauce onto the chicken. Refrigerate overnight.
2. The next day, light a grill. Remove the chicken and scrape off any barbecue sauce on the skin. Rub the chicken with the vegetable oil and season with salt and pepper.
3. Place the chicken on the grill, skin-side down, and cook, flipping once, until charred, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Brush with the remaining barbecue sauce, then transfer to a cooler spot on the grill. Cook, covered, until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165º and the barbecue sauce has caramelized, 10 minutes more. Transfer to a platter and let rest 5 minutes, then serve.
If you know someone who might like this, please click “Share!”