There was a man in the history of humanity whose name became a synonym for wisdom. He was a king, the legendary ruler Solomon, who successfully led his nation to its highest splendour, wealth and prosperity.
We picked out 20 quotes from King Solomon that have proven to be universal truths for many generations around the world.
- For everything there is a season, and a time for very purpose under heaven: a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to break down, and a time to build up, a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak.
- Even fools are thought wise when they keep silent.
- It is better that you should not vow than that you should vow and not pay.
- You are better off having a friend than to be all alone. If you fall, your friend can help you up. But if you fall without having a friend nearby, you’re really in trouble.
- Every wise woman builds her house, but a foolish woman pulls it down with her own hands.
- A man who flatters his neighbor spreads a net for his steps.
- So I saw that there is nothing better for a person than to enjoy their work, because that is their lot. For who can bring them to see what will happen after them?
- There is no man who has power over the spirit to retain the spirit, nor has he power over the day of death. And there is no discharge in war. Neither shall wickedness deliver him who is given to it.
- Rivers run into the sea, but the sea is never full. Then the water returns again to the rivers and flows out again to the sea.
- Whoever is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit than he who takes a city.
- In the day of prosperity be joyful, but in the day of adversity consider: both of these things exist, so that man will not discover anything that will be after him.
- A ring of gold in a swine’s snout, is a beautiful woman who is without discretion.
- First you learn humility, then you experience glory.
- Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting get understanding.
- Wrath is cruel, and anger is overwhelming, but who is able to stand before jealousy?
- For whoever is joined with all the living, there is hope.
- Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all transgressions.
- I discovered that wisdom is better than foolishness, just as light is better than darkness. Foolishness leaves you in the dark. But wise or foolish, we all end up the same… we all die and are soon forgotten.
- Even in laughter the heart is sorrowful, and the end of mirth is heaviness.
- Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.
If you know someone who might like this, please click “Share!”