Yield : Serves 6–8
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar, plus 2 tablespoons
- 3 cups cold whipping cream
- 8 ounces good-quality bittersweet chocolate (60 to 70 percent cacao), chopped
- 1 1/4 cups canned pumpkin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 (10-ounce) frozen pound cakes, thawed, and cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons bourbon (optional, adults only)
- Fresh raspberries, pumpkin seeds, or shaved chocolate, for garnish
Set the bowl of an electric mixer over a saucepan of shallow simmering water. Add the egg yolks, water, and 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar and whisk constantly until the mixture is frothy, beginning to thicken, and has reached 150°F. Remove from the heat and beat with an electric mixer for 3 minutes, until thickened. In another small bowl over the simmering water, melt the chocolate. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. Divide the egg mixture into two medium bowls. Stir the cooled chocolate into one bowl. Into the other bowl stir the pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, and brown sugar. In another bowl, beat the whipping cream and 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar at high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold 1 1/2 cups whipped cream into the chocolate mixture, and 1 1/2 cups into the pumpkin mixture.
Place a layer of pound cake in the bottom of a trifle dish, large bowl, or individual dishes. Brush with a little bourbon. Spoon a 1-inch layer of pumpkin mousse over the cake. Top with a second layer of cake. Brush with bourbon. Spoon a 1-inch layer of chocolate mousse over this layer of cake. Top with a third layer of cake and again brush with bourbon. Top with the remaining whipped cream and garnish with raspberries or chocolate. Chill overnight.
If you know someone who might like this, please click “Share!”