Woman’s Own Fart Causes Fire That Burns Her During Surgery

One Japanese woman in Tokyo was subject to a bizarre episode that took place at Tokyo Medical University, where she was sedated with anesthesia for a gynecological surgery.

A post-surgical report detailed the horrifying incident.

“When the patient’s intestinal gas leaked into the . . . [operating room], it ignited with the irradiation of the laser, and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire,” the report noted.

As if that was not awful enough, the situation went from bad to worse quickly. The fire consumed the woman’s body, and she was badly burned, on her legs especially.

The incident may be uncommon, it is far from unique. Author Robert Provine says in a book he wrote on strange bodily phenomena that “a gassy gut can be fatal, as it was for a patient having a colonic polyp cauterized. An electric spark caused the patient’s bowels to detonate, blasting out the colonoscopy and ripping a six-inch hole in the patient’s large intestine.”

(Source)

If you know someone who might like this, please click “Share!”