1. You will always remember your first, so choose wisely.
2. Cut your hair shorter than you dare. It will grow back.
3. Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen.
4. Pizza is always a good idea.
5. So is a good run.
6. Be strict with your own grammar and spelling. Be lenient with others’.
7. Never skip breakfast if you can help it.
8. Surround yourself with people smarter than you.
9. People deserve second chances, but there is no such thing as a third or fourth.
10. If someone tells you that you can’t do something because you’re a girl, do it anyway, and do it better.
11. Know your limits, and exceed them.
12. Except when you’re drinking.
13. Never bite off more than you can chew.
14. Especially when you’re drinking.
15. Don’t ever feel obligated to explain yourself.
16. Dance whenever you feel like it.
17. Your problems may seem overwhelming right now, but you will get through them. I’ll make sure of that.
18. You never know when you need to wipe away a tear, so always have a pack of tissues at the ready.
19. Wash behind your ears.
20. If you happen to be in the closet, take your time.
21. Just know that I will be waiting outside with open arms.
22. Drink water like it’s the most delicious beverage on earth.
23. Sleep early.
24. Train yourself to rise with the sun.
25. Pets are a lifelong commitment.
26. Learn how to say “no.”
27. Learn to love walking.
28. Your weight does not define you.
29. Feminism is not a bad word, despite what others may say.
30. No one has to earn your respect. Everyone deserves it, regardless of who they are.
31. Once you wear a properly-fitting bra, you’ll wonder how you went so long without it.
32. You are more than just your looks, your GPA, or your sexuality.
33. Choose comfort over style every single time.
34. A smile is your best accessory.
35. But if someone tells you ‘you’d look prettier if you’d smile more’, walk the other way.
36. Even if you’re tall, wear those heels anyway.
37. Read. A lot. Read even those books that you think you can’t understand yet, because you will, eventually.
38. And if you do decide to be a reader, start with classic literature. They’ve lasted this long for a reason.
39. Never quiet your voice for someone else. There is always room for more than one person’s opinion.
40. It’s okay to like pink things and play with toy trucks at the same time. They are not mutually exclusive.
41. Do the cliche movie scene of walking along the beach under the stars with someone you love, at least once in your life.
42. There is a lot of bad in the world, but there is also a lot of good.
43. Expect the good, but be prepared for the bad.
44. Fruits are your friends.
45. Cola is not.
46. Be impeccable with your word.
47. Your sadness, anger, and pain must all have a reason, and must all be within reason.
49. Being “intimidating” is not a bad thing.