No kitchen accessory is more underused than the mighty toothpick. Sure, they can be used for cleaning food out of your teeth after a meal, but that’s hardly all they’re good for!
As proof, here are 11 amazing and creative ways you can use toothpicks!
1. Looking for a great centerpiece? Try this lovely strawberry topiary!
2. If you “cap” cucumbers and lemons at the ends, you can keep them fresh for longer!
3. These “potato legs” may look cute, but they serve a functional purpose, too. They allow it to cook easily in the microwave when you give it some empty space at the bottom.
4. Putting butter on a toothpick tripod helps it soften faster without melting it completely.
5. Your kids will love these mini-pancake appetizers!
6. Want to grow your own sweet potatoes? Get them ready by using toothpicks to suspend the spud over a jar of water. The sprouts are ready to plant when the “slips” start popping through the skin.
7. If you want to cook stuffed chicken breasts like a professional chef, look no further. After pounding chicken breasts as flat as you possibly can, stuff it with whatever you like (such as this pesto and goat cheese recipe), pull the sides together, and keep it in place with toothpicks.
8. If you don’t like slicing off the dry edges of a cake every time you want a piece of cake, you can use toothpicks to secure regular sandwich bread to keep it fresh and moist!
9. If your guests are using toothpicks at a party, use a lemon for them to insert their used toothpicks, and just throw out the lemon at the end of the party. This way you don’t have to pick up all those little pieces yourself!
10. You can tell if a cake is ready to be taken out of the oven by sticking a toothpick into it. If it comes out clean, it’s ready!
11. You can use a toothpick to write secret messages into a banana!
I don’t always keep toothpicks in the house, but with these fun and useful tricks, I’m going to have to change that. Especially for the hidden banana messages. That’s just amazing!
If you know someone who might like this, please click “Share!”