- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz.) can red enchilada sauce
- 1 (15.5 oz.) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8.5 oz.) package corn muffin mix
- 2 cups Mexican cheese blend, grated, divided
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeds and ribs removed, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350º F.
2. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown beef, onion and jalapeño until beef is cooked through and veggies are softened. Drain fat and return to heat.
3. Season with salt and pepper, then stir in cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, tomatoes, enchilada sauce and kidney beans.
4. Cook for 7-10 minutes, or until mixture has reduced slightly, then transfer to baking dish and sprinkle 1 1/2 cups Mexican cheese blend over the top.
5. In a large bowl, prepare corn muffin mix according to package directions (stirring in egg and 1/3 cup milk until smooth). Stir in remaining cheese and pour mixture evenly over beef and veggies.
6. lace baking dish in oven and bake for 20-22 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of cornbread comes out mostly clean.
7. Remove from oven and serve hot.
If you know someone who might like this, please click “Share!”