When it comes to classics, a Reuben sandwich never fails to hit the spot. There isn’t much that grilled-to-perfection, sandwich can’t cure. Here’s an easier way to make this delicious sandwich without the hassle and will feed a crowd: a Reuben casserole!
Filled with rye bread cubes, your choice of pastrami or corned beef, sauerkraut, pickles and Thousand Island dressing, this casserole tastes just like our favorite hot sandwich!
- 6 slices rye bread, divided
- 1 pound pastrami or corned beef, thinly sliced or shaved
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can sauerkraut
- 4 cups Swiss Cheese, shredded
- 1 cup dill pickles, chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup Thousand Island dressing
- 1/4 cup mustard
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
1. Preheat oven to 350º F and lightly grease a 9×11-inch baking dish with butter or non-stick spray.
2. Take four pieces of rye bread and cut them into cubes. Place remaining bread in food processor, pulse until you’ve got fine breadcrumbs and set aside.
3. Spread cubed bread out along the bottom of your baking dish, then cover with 1/2 of pastrami. Top beef with sauerkraut, pickles, half of caraway seeds and 2 cups cheese.
4. Cover with remaining beef, caraway seeds and cheese.
5. In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, salad dressing and mustard, then beat in eggs until combined.
6. Pour wet ingredients evenly over the casserole, then top with breadcrumbs.
7. Place baking dish in oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until mixture is bubbly, top is browned and center is set.
8. Remove from oven and serve hot.
If you know someone who might like this, please click “Share!”